You can read WHY I am involved in Open Source Ecology.
last updated: 3. July, 2012
WHO are you?
- Name/Nationality/Ethnicity - Nikolay Georgiev, Bulgaria
- Location – Berlin, Germany
- Contact Information –
E-Mail: nikolay (at) georgiev (.cc)
Mobile: +49 one seven six 5514 9643
- Introductory Video -
- What are your long-term goals?
Main Vision: Enabling every human to create their lives and develop the way they really want by increasing freedom and abundance.
Long-Term Goals: Grow and evolve Open Source Ecology as a standard way of living and working in Europe. Focus on OSE Germany and Europe-wide collaboration.
- What are your short-term goals?
- Create strong thriving open collaborative OSE network in Germany.
- Resume/CV –
2012 Jan - now: OSE Germany - Organization, Communication, Press; OSE Europe and OSE International
2012 May - 2012 Oct: supported by velaia GmbH with a basic income.
2011 - 2012: Open Source Ecology - OSE Europe, OSE Video, Wiki Crash Course and Team Culturing, IT, Press.
2011 - now: OM Create & Act Open & Positive - started and supporting open positive network on whole sustainability in Bulgaria.
2010 Nov: ModuNotes – Simple modular notepad for mobile and everyday use. Project goals: simplicity, modularity, ease of use, mobility, durability, ecology, openness, scalability.
2009 - 2010 - researching sustainability topics - Plastic, Water, Food, Ecology, Consumption, Economics, Design, Open Source Software ...
2009 Dec – 2010 Jan: School Schedule Designer – Open Source Software for designing school schedules based on Eclipse RCP.
2008 Juni - 2009 Mai: VP Education Toastmasters Darmstadt.
2008 Dec: NoteSpring – Open Source Note Taking software based on Eclipse RCP.
2009 - 2011 - Working as a software developer
2004 - 2009 - Bachelor of Computer Science, Darmstadt, Germany
1998 - 2003 - Mathematics Gymnasium, Plovdiv, Bulgaria
- Interests - Learning, Experimenting with thoughts and world views, Contribution, Spirituality, Creating, Simplifying, Connecting and Communicating with people.
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you support open source culture?
Absolutely. We have to open so many things - software, hardware, knowledge, connections, beliefs, feelings. Just amazing possibilities!
- Why are you interested in this work?
Please read WHY I am involved in Open Source Ecology.
- Why are you interested in OSE Germany?
OSE Germany is crucial to the development of OSE in Europe. If we do it in Germany we can do everywhere in Europe. Germany has many advantages: a lot of professionals, one of the biggest sustainability cultures in the world and most people are well financially.
- How does OSE fit into your current live and long and short term goals?
I have dedicated my life to OSE.
- What will stop you supporting OSE Germany?
Nothing. As long as we are developing with the OSE values and principles, this is my path.
- List all of your skills in these areas: Communications - Organizational - PR/Marketing - Computer Support - Finances - Law - Design - Video/Graphics - Education - Architecture - Construction - Natural Building - Ecology - Agriculture - Permaculture - Renewable Energy - Electronics - Automation - Metallurgy - Engineering - Product Design - CAD - Fabrication - Industry - CNC - Chemistry - Others
Communications - I share valuable information openly - blogging, speaking, presenting, discussing, clarifying, creating and sustaining bridges.
Organizational - Experience in organizing OSE Europe, Bulgarian open sustainability network and OSE Germany.
Computer Support - I use open source software: Ubuntu, Wordpress, Wiki, phpBB, Drupal. Able to setup quickly Wordpress websites.
Video/Graphics - I use Kdenlive, GIMP and Inkscape.
Education - Love it. For education to effective, there should be clear understanding of the teacher and clear simple communication.
Natural Building - I want to learn and practice designing and building tools and structures.
Permaculture - Basic understanding, would love to get practical experience and grow my own food.
Renewable Energy - Basic understanding, would love to get practical experience.
Electronics - Played with Arduino.
CAD - Beginner in Solidworks, seems easy and fun.
Fabrication and CNC - Beginner welding, metal working and CNC experience through few courses. Found it easy and will be happy to improve my fabrication skills.
- What have you contributed to the development of OSE and OSE Germany?
To OSE: Wiki (Crash Course, Team Culturing), IT, Press, OSE Europe
To OSE Germany: Organizing, communicating, expanding the network, finding people.
- What is stopping your contribution to OSE Germany?
On a personal level: my communication is expanding and I am prioritizing where my attention and work is going. I am deciding between good, better and best.
On a team level: team work can be better. This has direct effect also on my work - delaying or improving it. Would love to see more people engaged in OSE Germany from the hearth.
HOW can you help?
- How do you want to contribute?
1) Developing OSE Germany 2) creating open collaborative OSE Europe, 3) helping OSE as I can.
- What is the best use of your time?
Communication: I love communication that is clear, immediately gets to the point, time-saving, but also also honest and from the heart. Feedback is great!
Prioritized Actions: See Nikolay Log
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
We have to find ways to sustain everyone of us involved in OSE. Be it through money and other ways, the projects should be long-term sustainable.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis? Under what kind of conditions?
Yes. Under the only condition that we make it possible at least for the OSE Germany Core Team to work sustainably in the long-term.
- Are you interested in being part of the OSE Village in Germany?
Absolutely! This is my long-term goal.
- Are you interested in building GVCS or other Open Source Hardware equipment? If so which ones?
Totally. Still too early to say which ones, depends on our needs in the OSE Village.
- Are you a True Fan?
- Are you OSE Germany Donor?
- What should happen so that you become more involved in OSE Germany?
- What should happen so that you are passionately involved in OSE Germany?
I am and if more people are passionately involved in OSE Germany, then the synergy is amazing and the passion multiplies!
Team Work and Network
- What are your expectations of your team members?
They love the OSE values. Are honest with themselves and others. They work focused on what is important for our development. Communicate relevantly and openly. Communicate immediately when they feel that something planned is wrong or cannot happen. Give feedback. Choose to unite rather than separate people. Maintain enriching relationships within the team. Finally they want to develop themselves and help other people even outside the team.
- What do you perceive as your responsibility as a team member?
All of the above expectation of my team member + ensuring that we as team are moving forward.
- What do you think should be our priorities now and in the long-term?
See: Strategische Entwicklung
Long-term: Still to be defined concretely with the team. My initial thoughts: 1) Identifying economically significant technology for Germany (GVCS-like) 2) Creating Open Collaborative Platform 3) Development and proof of concepts for few technologies 4) Creating dozens of places where open source development thrives 5) More Growth and Open Collaboration
- What are the biggest challenges for OSE Germany and what can we and you do about them?
For Germany as a country: a lot of laws (Gesetze) and certification requirements. Solutions: learn about them and find out solutions as open community.
For the team: good strategy and dedicated actions. Solutions: Step by step. From OpenEcoLab to the German Factor E Farm. Dedicated action really depends on your real motivation to participate in OSE Germany - the more clear you are the better for you and everyone.
Your Friends and Community
- How are your friends and environment supporting open source development
Almost all my friends and my environment participate in OSE and OM. Both represent exactly the way I want to live. Though, I need also physical environment, like the OSE Village in Germany, so that I and others can put the open source development into concrete practice.
- How your environment can become more supportive or even engaged in open source development?
Experiment and become an example that it is possible. Create physical places where these people can live and work. Make it sustainable in the long-term.
- Can you share with everyone of us friends, people, communities and organizations you know who are already doing valuable work for a better future?
I document it here: Friends.
- What do you like in OSE Germany?
The people who are already participating and the growing interest. That we are open network. That we have very similar values.
- What is missing in OSE Germany?
Everything with its time. Nevertheless following will help us immensely:
- More dedicated people - engineers and supporters
- Dedicated working OpenEcoLabs.
- What are your suggestions for improvement in OSE Germany and how could these be implemented?
Know what you really want to do. If OSE is some part of that, join us!